Holistic Skincare: 5 Unique Skin Changes in Pregnancy + 5 Compelling Reasons to Embrace Toxic-Free SkincareJun 28, 2023
Undoubtedly, pregnancy brings about some of the most intense physical changes in a woman's life. It can even feel like a second puberty as you navigate the hormonal fluctuations that can impact various aspects of your physiology, including your skin.
We often hear about radiant pregnancy complexions, which can indeed happen due to increased circulation. However, it's equally common to experience changes like hyperpigmentation and acne during pregnancy.
Let's explore together five of the most common pregnancy-induced changes and discuss why considering holistic skincare products is worthwhile:
- Increased Sensitivity - Even if you have never experienced skin sensitivities in the past, your beloved skincare routine may suddenly make your skin feel irritated, red, or inflamed. During pregnancy, it's important to set aside harsh peels, essential oils, or abrasive exfoliants, as your skin may no longer tolerate these products.
- Dehydration, Dryness & Stretch Marks - Dry, flaky, tight, or itchy skin may appear during your pregnancy, and it's not limited to your face! Many women experience dry tightening or itching of the skin on their growing bellies as their skin slowly stretches to accommodate their growing baby. The demands for hydration increase dramatically during pregnancy, and supporting your skin from the inside out by drinking plenty of water and electrolytes will benefit your skin. Dehydration refers to a lack of water in your system, while dryness is a lack of oil, which may be hormonally induced. Either way, tending to your skin with water, nourishing moisturizers, and protective measures is vital for maintaining skin elasticity and managing itchiness and stretch marks.
- Acne - Remember when we mentioned a second puberty? Well, for some women, it can feel just like that. Acne can flare up during pregnancy, even if you never experienced it during your adolescence. Treating and preventing pregnancy acne is completely possible, and if you need expert help troubleshooting this, we’ll tell you how at the end of this blog.
- Melasma or Hyperpigmentation - Hormonal changes that increase melanin in your body are meant to affect the skin around the areola to aid your baby in finding the nipple. However, these same darkening hormonal changes may also affect your face. Melasma, also known as the "mask of pregnancy," may leave dark spots on your cheeks, nose, and forehead. It often worsens as you approach your due date since the hormonal effects become more pronounced in order to support your baby.
- Pregnancy Glow - This change is usually very welcome. As your blood volume and circulation increase, you may experience a rosier, fuller, and more nourished glow as you grow your baby.
Now that you're aware of the changes your skin goes through and why they happen, let's discuss the importance of using holistic, toxic-free products and techniques before, during, and after your pregnancy.
Here are five compelling reasons why shifting to this type of skincare is vital while trying to conceive or during pregnancy:
- Protecting you and your baby's health: Many conventional skincare products contain chemicals such as phthalates, parabens, formaldehyde, and synthetic fragrances that may be harmful if they cross the placenta. These substances can be absorbed through the skin and pose risks to reproductive health and the developing fetus. Opting for chemical-free skincare reduces the overall toxic burden on the body and safeguards your baby's well-being.
- Promoting hormonal balance: Chemicals in skincare products can disrupt the delicate balance of hormones in a woman's body, including reproductive hormones. Interference in the hormonal landscape can compromise the menstrual cycle, ovulation, and overall fertility. During pregnancy, hormones play a vital role, and maintaining a balanced hormonal environment is crucial for a healthy pregnancy and the development of your baby.
- Preventing skin reactivity: As mentioned before, pregnancy can make the skin more sensitive and reactive. Skincare products laden with chemicals are more likely to irritate the skin, leading to issues like dryness, irritation, inflammation, or allergic reactions. Choosing gentle, holistic alternatives can help reduce the risk of skin sensitivities and provide superior nourishment to your skin, including addressing stretch marks that may appear.
- Lessening the environmental impact: Supporting holistic skincare brands that prioritize sustainability and use natural ingredients ensures you're contributing to a smaller carbon footprint and a better world for future generations. By choosing products that are eco-friendly, you are actively making a positive impact on the environment.
- Supporting overall well-being: Pregnancy is a transformative time when women are encouraged to become more conscious of their health and well-being. Using natural and organic skincare products presents an opportunity to align with nature, deepen your self-care practices, find peace of mind, and enhance your overall well-being. These positive practices will continue to benefit you during your postpartum recovery experience. Incorporating hands-on care in your holistic skincare routine can also help manage headaches, tension, stress, and anxiety.
Navigating all the changes that pregnancy brings can feel overwhelming at times, but with the right support, you can make decisions that support your new reality and help you and your baby thrive. Sometimes, you don't need to make big sweeping changes to your skincare routine, but a small tweak, like ditching or switching one product, can make a difference. Whatever your individual needs may be, we offer a variety of skin treatments specifically designed to address hormonal fluctuations without using harmful peels or abrasive machinery.
Every session includes unique problem-solving for your skin and has the added benefit of boosting your immune system, promoting healthy circulation, and improving lymphatic drainage. Additionally, it helps you relax and feel completely nurtured. Rest assured that every product and technique we use has been selected for its compatibility with pre-conception, pregnancy, and breastfeeding. We would be delighted to nurture you as you nurture new life!
Get The Guide To Easeful Motherhood Your Mom Wishes She'd Had!
We've curated our top 3 resources to support you from pre-conception through postpartum. This is the cheat sheet guide other moms had to learn through trial & error, but not you! Grab yours. It's free.
1) Castor Oil Pack Tutorial- to support you while trying to conceive
2) Video Tutorial for Pregnancy: "Get Quality Sleep & Wake-Up Pain-Free"
3) Postpartum Door Sign to Guide your visitors on how to truly support your family
We value your privacy & will never share your information